Oliver Max Gardner Award
This award is given annually by the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina to a faculty member who "has made the greatest contribution to the welfare of the human race." Each of the sixteen universities is invited to nominate an individual from its campus. The award has been given since 1949 and "...those chosen in the past have been persons who have made notable contributions of national or international scale, or persons whose contributions, although local, have served as models nationally or internationally."
One nominee per campus. The winner receives recognition of recipient, family and friends with the Gardner family at the May meeting of the Board of Governors. Take a look at the list of past winners.
- Recent national or international contribution to the welfare of the human race or is a model for national or international community.
- Hold faculty rank including instructor and engages in teaching in any unit of the institution.
- Be willing to work with the Committee and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs Office to collect and develop a booklet which includes (a) biographical data, (b) a narrative statement of the nominee's contributions, and (c) any supporting materials that enhance the booklet.
- Be nominated by faculty, students, administrators or alumni of Appalachian State University.
- Nominations are received and reviewed by the Committee and the Chancellor.
- The Committee selects a candidate and informs the individual.
- The individual works with the Committee and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Office to develop a booklet for submission.
- Detailed nomination letter received by subcommittee chair(s) - December 2, 2016
- Nominee's curriculum vitae received by subcommittee chair(s) - December 9, 2016
- Nominee's completed portfolio - January 6, 2017
The nomination period typically begins in the early Fall semester. A notice will be distributed campus wide. Submit nominations for the Oliver Max Gardner award using the Nomination Form (DOC) - one nominee per form. Please read the above eligibility requirements before submitting a form.
Submit the completed nomination form may to the current subcommittee chair. For 2016-2017, contact:
O. Max Gardner Award, Subcommittee Chair, Dr. Diana Moss - Curriculum and Instruction (firstname.lastname@example.org) 828-262-2177
2016-2017 Deadline for nominations: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 5pm.
Content updated September 3, 2014